Thursday, December 01, 2005

Recent Reading

While I was on vacation and on the road, I bought a number of books:

* What would Buddha do? Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas (Frantz Metcalf) *

Each page is a question about an ordinary situation like "what would Buddha do about getting drunk?", followed by a quote and an advice. It is easy to read and provides sensible advice. Helpful towards warming my mind up for contemplation. I am sobered by the quotation attached to this question on "What would Buddha do in picking a partner?", which says "If on the path you don't meet your equal, it's best to travel alone. There's no fellowship with fools - Dhammapada 61". Yes, I guess the feeling would be an even more lonely one made ironical by the companionship.

* Vegas Rich *

A trash novel about some poor simple (beautiful, of cos) woman who came to inherit a huge fortune from an old man who took a fancy to her (who was horizontally accessible, of cos)and how she then went on to learn to read and build an empire and had a couple of gorgeous-looking but problematic sons and their lives, etc. I picked it up at the airport to kill boredom and as something to put me to sleep on the plane. I didn't need to use it in the end since the oxygen level turned down during the flight put everyone to sleep anyway (a flight crew trick). I lugged it with me for all those miles but finished the novel only after I got home, as bedside reading. The writer merely added words on the pages with large gapping holes in his story. The lines fed nothing to the brain nor the soul. Deprived, my eyelids eventually sank over my eyes. So the book did its job.


* Look before you leap: preparing for marriage (Pastor J.John) *


I bought this in Watford out of curiosity and the cashier in the bookstore looked extremely pleased that I was supporting their local writer. She got chatty and even asked if I was buying it for myself. Panic. I got embarassed for I did not know how to explain myself if more questions followed, so I blurted a lie that I was getting it for a friend. I didn't think she believed me but I guess it was enough for her.

It turned out to be an excellent book and explained systematically how to assess our value system and know what makes a suitable match for ourselves. I guess most of it we vaguely know or are aware of but never quite bring ourselves to face it, especially when our hearts are already in the situation. We make excuses. We make compromises. We believe love conquers all. The element of practicality that runs through this book broadens upon the common views held today. Without being judgemental, the writer brings us through the pros and cons of the choices we make with the way we are involved in relationships. I wish I got to read this when I was twenty (oh, that was not too long ago or at least that is how it feels..) This book makes a great present but you will have to pick the right timing. Giving this to someone at his/her wedding would be somewhat late...


* Dos and Don'ts in Thailand (3rd edition, published by Booknet)*


People buy travel books when they travel. I like to get those relating to culture, culture shock issues, customs. So this is one of them. While in Bangkok, I bought this because it looks very comprehensive and is written in a light easy tone. Despite this, it dwells in a greater depth than the usual cultural books covering customs relating to festivals or special occasions like wedding, funeral, etc.

This one, for example, has a chapter on Thai's people view of their Monarchy which is important to highlight. I remember meeting Enrique after he first moved to Thailand and still had not assimilated into the society. Yet, he spoke in hush tones when he mentioned the Thai royal family and cautioned me against offending the public by raising questions or comments unintentionally about the royal family. The Thais have an almost holy respect for their royalty, totally unlike many countries with a monarchy. It left a deep impression on me about the sensitivity of the topic. So it is appropriate to highlight this gravity to foreigners.

The book also covers topics about darker side of life such bars and massage parlours, etc. There is a chapter for the men and even one for the women (because a few tourist girls have lost their lives).

For a country so steeped in customs and manners, it is fascinating that it embraces such diversity, such contradictions with an amazing tolerance and also resilient to external influences. Since many of us travel to Thailand often, this looks like a great book for a present too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Look Before You Leap book is available outside of Watford!

6:09 pm  
Blogger Fiery said...

It is newly published in mid-2005 so quite likely not to be in our local stores yet but still, you can try and check out the Christian bookshops or order it at Borders. The ISBN number is 860244645

Here is nice review of the book
http://orders.koorong.com.au/product/details?code=1860244645

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home