Monday, June 12, 2006

Ole Ole Ole

Watched the world cup for the first time last Saturday. Why now? Because:
1) the screening was at Artery, the pub managed by Ken and Kee-Lam,
2) Ken offered to reserve a cozy area for the group of us,
3) we would be watching it on a large projection screen,
4) watching with a group of friends so the atmosphere would be fun,
5) England is playing; in this event, against Paraguay.
At least 3 or 4 of us have never watched a football match before. Chak declared us the world cup virgins.

So you can imagine, I was quite blur. The game started without fanfare. No whistle, no horn. I was talking and turned round look at the screen, and the guys are already all over the field with the ball. So I asked,"Are these guys warming up?". Someone replied,"It has started! You think this is badminton match is it?"

I had barely orientated with what's going on, when England scored a goal just 3 minutes into the game! Aiyoh. Not sure what happened there. Well, they scored, so I am not the only one not paying attention. I then looked forward to see more goals but nothing, the rest of the game was very badly played and boring. Both sides did not appear to have any strategy or positioning of defence or attack. What a pity. Some of the guys said England always looked good on paper but usually disappointing on the field. That was surprising to me. Some savings came from the commentator who was so funny with his dry english humour, especially in the second half. He must be quite fed up. He was more entertaining than the game.
We kept giggling at his comments.

Again without any whistle or horn, the game went into half time, or ended. I only know when the players walked off the field. Very bizarre to me. I think watching english rugby is more fun but tv never shows.
Well, now I have learnt the cute guy is Owen and the tall one who likes to tackle the ball with his head is "Crouch". And Paraguay has a player with a dirty name called "Lampard", if I imagine the "d" is silent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must correct here: Lampard by the way is from England! :)

6:11 pm  
Blogger Fiery said...

Opps
:-P

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home