Saturday, December 24, 2005

Sheep, Angels and the Mexican Guy at the Bar

Budak Pantai's concert was a tad of a disappointment. I went for their first show. It might have been the nerves on opening nite, the guys rushed through their songs and diction was muffled in many parts of the singing. With that, much of the humour and punch lines were missed, especially by those who were there for the first time to watch them. I almost want to believe it was the poor sound system. It did not help that Danny strummed his guitar in many of the songs which further interfered with the singing. I expected acapella, not such pollution. I was surprised their song about the cake fell flat and untotally unfunny. It had never happened before in any of their shows I attended.

I suspect Michael came up with a lot of the gimmicks which were unnecessary. They could pull it off in a small crowd but to an audience of this size, it didn't connect. Things improved after the recess, they relaxed and expressed relief that people returned. Har, dare to say! Their tickets this year were so expensive. Last yr, I paid $40 and was in the stall, 5th row from the stage. This year, the same seats were over $100. I bought the $30 ticket and landed in circle 2! My friend, a first time audience, said that we were lucky to have gotten only the $30 tickets, it was not worth anything more than that.
It was a great pity they failed to impress. The positive side is Gordon's voice has improved and sounds more confident with the chinese numbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home