Sunday, January 29, 2006

春节 Spring Festival

Gong Xi Fa Chai! I think I must have watched 3 dvds last nite (while typing out my last blog) till 2 in the morning and missed most of the festive fanfare on tv. It was so quiet in the neighbourhood. No crackers popping.

My first day of CNY and as usual, we don't know who would be visiting. Or rather, we don't know if our usual visitors would be turning up on the first day or the second day. If we don't see them on the first day, we can expect they will only be able to make it the next day. So we just sit at home in anticipation and wait. In the meantime, we watch tv and snacked.

I poked around my cabinets and found an old autograph book from junior college. My gawd, such a long time ago. The entries made me smile, a lot of my classmates have very funny sense of humor. Such bittersweet years. So filled with laughter and yet, so much angst over feelings of inadequacy, like an alien in a foreign culture. Drawn towards these creatures called boys yet repulsed by their swearing and vulgarity. Many of us feeling for our own path that I feel we struggled to be best of ourselves but still not our true selves. It was a strange time. A time of over-stimulation and disquiet. I wondered what I had written in other people's autograph books but do not think they would even be half as interesting as what my classmates wrote in mine.

The morning and afternoon passed uneventfully and I almost fell asleep until the call from my cousins at 5pm. They are all the relatives from mum side - three generations - 8 adults and 5 children. Most of them I have not seen for more than a year. They stayed for dinner. The men are all good cooks. Ah Gi enjoyed telling me how to prepare kangaroo dishes and make indian mutton soup, like I would be cooking. Not that I don't want to. I just don't get a chance. I have concluded I am not destined to be in the kitchen for somehow fate has mostly led people to make my meals for me.

My evening concluded with another dvd viewing - Zaitoichi; the blind japanese swordsman.

I like CNY, it is pretty relaxing. :-))

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi, share some of the interesting entries in your atograph book leh...fy

2:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home