Saturday, June 17, 2006

WAF. I've got all my sisters with me. Aw!

Last Wed, I visited to observe the June camp organised under the Beautiful People program for young delinquent girls, held at the Hangout.

I walked all the way from Bugis MRT and thought I knew the way and that there was a short cut. At the base of Mt.Sophia, I turned right into the lane where the sikh temple was, turned left at the old Rex theatre, past the old warehouse of vehicles. Thankfully, no more construction workers hanging out in the empty field there. Then finally, I arrived at (eeek!!) MacKenzie hotel at the bottom of Mt.Emily. It's not the HangOut.

Opps. I had to back-track up to Mt.Sophia. It was very dark but fairly safe. HangOut was tucked away right at the end of Mt.Emily, I had walked a whole hour by the time I arrived. Somehow I didn't regret not taking a cab. I got to see old sights again; like the shell of entrance to the first swimming pool in Sgp. I am grateful that some buildings are still there in that area, for a lot has changed and some of the quaint houses are gone forever. Now only memories remained.



[Invited speaker Tanya Fong shares insights about life in journalism with the girls;
while Diana Ser and Fiona Xie look on from the sidelines, they spoke to the girls about careers in the Media earlier]

The programs in the plans by Beautiful People are awesome. At the camp, the energy around touches me. An energy that exudes innocence and optimism. Some of the volunteers are just radiant. I feel fortunate to meet them, rediscovering something that I had to leave behind long time ago. It is like being back in MGS again. Their spirit of "we can do it" burns alive and brightly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home