Saturday, October 29, 2005

Scams

BKK, World Trade Centre. I was on my own wandering around when I noticed a chinese couple trying to approach people for help, calling out,"do you speak mandarin?".

The man was in a dark suit, looked older. The lady was in white and looked fair and pleasant. So I turned to them and asked,"yes, I can. What is it?".

The man showed me his passport and gave me his namecard, saying something like,"I am here on business and while here, my money got stolen and..". I did not wait for him to finish. I pushed his namecard back and said firmly,"sorry, I cannot help." Then I turned my back immediately and walked off with the woman calling behind me ,"we would like to borrow money...!"

They continued to loiter in the same place to approach other people but moved away quickly when they later saw me.

When I told this to my friends. They shared their experiences of lending money to strangers. Josh lended money to someone who said he will return the money but gave Josh a fake telephone number. Josh actually saw him again weeks later and grabbed the man to demand his money back. The man was so frightened, he took Josh home to get his money to give back to Josh. That sounded so dangerous to us. Aymes also lended $100 to an old couple who were in the same travelling group to Nepal. They claimed that the housekeeper had stolen their money from the safe. Later on, she received the money in the post from the old couple's son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home