Saturday, November 05, 2005

St.Georges' Flats


St.Georges' Flats. A deconsecrated church converted to student accommodations. I believe I was in the first batch to move in after the renovations.

The chapel hall at the back became the lecture theatre. The living quarters were one side for the men while the other side of the church for the women.

I am glad I took lots of pictures during my stay here. Now looking at each part of the St.G brought vivid memories easily to my mind like they all just happened yesterday.

I recall with amusement the first day I moved in. The other asian girls unexpectedly gathered into my room to discuss and express their fears. They wanted to move out because of the cemetery grounds surrounding the flat. My room which looked like it was in the attic was considered bad fengshui for having beams above my bed. Anyway, life moved on. Christmas came and both flats got together to have a huge party during which I passed out temporarily from the potent fruit punch. I was discovered collapsed in the loo, and woke up to Mako-chan and WB shaking my shoulders. There was also a picnic in the gardens in celebration of the arrival of the still very cold spring, signalled by the sudden appearance of daffodils. It was very bizarre to place our food and cutlery on the tombstones.

[notes: Hanging out in the warm kitchen with WB, Karen, Mako-chan]

I promised Wingo, Karen, John and Enrique that I will take lots of pictures but much of the scenery here has not changed. Yet. The hospital facing the lecture hall is now empty and abandoned; maybe it will be pulled down and be replaced.

W.B came to my mind and I missed her most strongly here since she passed away 4 years ago. I stopped for a moment to pick up a leaf and plucked a flower from the garden. Something to send Mako-chan in my next snail mail to tell her I miss her too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home