Saturday, November 05, 2005

UK train drivers

My BIL used to work in the company that builds the Virgin trains. I didn't know why people get excited about trains until this time, the first time I stood in front of a fast train and it flew by on the tracks. It is indeed impressive. Wow.

I found the british train drivers to make highly entertaining announcements on the journey. I keep my ears open to what they have to say whenever when they go on the PA. They often make me and other passengers laugh out loud.

On my journey from Watford to Sheffield, the driver went on line to remind passengers about the buttons in the toilet; not to repeatedly press the emergency alarm button by accident and not to mistake it for the flush, as the train staff will rush for assistance. Nearing the next stop, he then apologised to the man for his unpleasant experience to have the alarm button lead to his mistaking it for the flush button. Everyone could not help smiling to know that the incident actually happened.

I did not try the toilet in the train and even less inclined to do so after Adi warned me about the different buttons for door open, door close and door lock. You not only have to close the door but also need to remember to press the lock button. Otherwise, it could get quite embarassing for either one or both parties. I wonder what other buttons in the toilets I have to worry about. Sounds like the train toilets have controls like those for space manoeuver.

If the train should be stopping for longer than usual, the train drivers actually kindly inform smokers that there would be enough time to take a quick smoke on the platform if passengers need one. On the way back from Sheffield, near Burmingham International, the driver on this train announced to passengers that "this stop is a non-smoking station, and a reminder not to smoke, should you proceed to do so, you will be arrested". At that point, we all looked at each other in alarm and could not help grinning with amusement at everyone's reaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home